Sunday, July 29, 2012

Stadium Report Card: Progress Energy Park




Team: Tampa Bay Rowdies
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
League: North American Soccer League
Built: 1947 (rebuilt 1976)
Capacity: 7,227
My event: Regular Season Game vs FC Edmonton

1. Outdoor Design
The stadium has a lot of cement on the inside and outside. It seems like it was rebuilt in the 70s. I think the vertical beams that keeps the roof up look cool, but there isn't much to it.  5/10

2. Indoor Design

It looked a little better inside. The overhang is huge, and covered almost all the stands. The top 15 rows were bleacher seats with a back rest. There is a small berm down the right field line. But looking out, it's absolutely beautiful. The stadium is right on the water, and in the middle of downtown which has a lot of cool views. 6/10

3. Prices
I payed for myself, my sister, and a friend. I wanted to get berm tickets for 12 dollars, but they don't sell them at the door. I was stuck with getting 3 16 dollar general admission tickets. I feel as if that was pretty high. Especially since it came out to 48 dollars. The Rays games are cheaper, and they're a pro team. Food prices weren't bad, but still. 4/10

4. Food
I saw just typical ballpark food, which you had to pay with cash only. 5/10

5. Staff
Didn't get to see that much of them. One guy who was managing the close seats asked to help us find our seats, which was general admission so we could sit anywhere.  7/10

6. Cleanliness
I thought it was pretty clean for an old stadium like this. There were a few peanut shells, but overall I was impressed.  7/10

7. Parking
There is a big lot infront of the stadium, then a long the side streets you could park and pay the meter. We went out in a marina across the street and parked for free in public parking. Next game I go to, that's where I'll park  8/10

8. Atmosphere
This was the best part. The Rowdies' supporters group is named Ralph's Mob(for the nickname of the original's Rowdie mascot) and they were fantastic. They had a chant for every situation, had drums, and people in penguin costumes. 9/10

9. Playing Surface
They are the only team to use the stadium, so the entire field is grass. It was in really good condition. Along the walls was a dirt warning track, but the grass was nicely manicured I thought. 8/10

10. Scoreboard

You can see it in this picture, it hasn't been updated since the rebuilding. I wish they had a video board up because after a really good play, you wouldn't get to see it again. The first half score was kept in the first inning box, and the second half was in the second inning. The timer was underneath the board. 5/10

So overall that is a 64. It's a really nice stadium for a thing like this. I would love it if they renovated it a little with nicer seats and a video board. They still do baseball there sometimes, but it makes a solid soccer stadium I thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment